Club meeting 2 December 2020

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 2 December 2020 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Stu ZL2XC, Revell ZL2SS, Mike ZL2MY, David ZL2DW, Rob ZL2AN,

Ross ZL2FN, Mark Paton and Karl ZL1TJ.

Apology: ZL2VM, ZL2LF, ZL2CD, ZL2ST and ZL3TT.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2MY, ZL2SS.


David 2DW: A request for contribution to the Wharite repeater battery replacement has not been received yet.

Mike 2MY: both Gary ZL2IFB and Holger ZL3IO have agreed to present a topic at the Conference forum.


Inward: Tax invoice for repeater licences from RSM.

Outward: Annual report to the Companies Office, various notices to members etc..

With: Napier City Councillor Maxine Boag re: visit and grant application.

Stu ZL2XC re the treasurers job, Mike 2VM re the club programme, Peter 2CD re the Companies office requirements, David 2DW re Conference after dinner speaker.

Finance: Paid: RSM $100, D.Morgan $100 (Conference acct.) and Power Company $88.10. Subs are now due, still only $25. Kiwi Bank account number is 38-9019-0636026-00.

General business: A brief report on last Saturday’s antenna fix gathering, attended by Dave 2MQ, Peter 2CD, Revell 2SS, Mike 2VM, Mark Paton (who did the ladder climbing) and the undersigned. The 80/40m dipole was disconnected from the tree which is about to be cut down. The 5 band vertical was temporarily stabilized but will need more work.

Next year’s club programme was presented in printed form by Mike 2VM, improved format and with additional ideas. John 2VAF to discuss AREC at the July meeting.

At the November 17th committee meeting Dave 2MQ’s mag-loop antenna was considered as the club’s 2021 project. It was given a tentative go-ahead. Dave to further develop design, Karl to get a few quotes for materials. Initial (Chinese) prices indicate the cost of a copper loop and two junction boxes are about NZ$ 55.00. A discussion on the merits of other materials and tuning options followed. To be continued.

The meeting closed at 8:15 pm.

And was followed by the Club’s end of year social event.

Seasons greetings to all members and families and may next year be a better one.

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 4 November 2020

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 4 November 2020 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Stan ZL2ST, Stu ZL2XC, Errol ZL2IT, Peter ZL2CD, Revell ZL2SS, Mike ZL2MY, Peter ZL2LF, Blue ZL3TT, Dave ZL2DW, Mike ZL2VM, Rob ZL2AN, Warren ZL2AJ and Karl ZL1TJ. Apology: ZL2MO.

Dave welcomed NZART Councilor Warren ZL2AJ, then proceeded to present the Arthur (Jumbo) Godfrey Award for services to the Club and NZ Amateur Radio to Stan ZL2ST. The Award was made at the recent NZART AGM in Wellington and received by Dave on Stan’s behalf. Stan responded with thanks and a brief history of his years with the Club.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2XC, ZL2MY.

Arising: Dave 2MQ: the club will be happy to contribute to the reasonable replacement cost of the National System Wharite repeater battery, ‘going halves’ with Branch 13.

Correspondence: With Debby, NZART, regarding the forthcoming visit (Nov.7th), with Dave 2DW re: the above mentioned Wharite repeater battery replacement, with Kiwi bank re: money transfer, from Peter 2CD, resignation from treasurer position, from Wally 2MO, resignation from building custodian position, from RSM re: repeater license fees due, from the Companies Office: Annual report due. Outward: various notices to members etc..

Finance: Peter 2CD: financial statement attached.

General business: Dave 2MQ: a discussion with Warren 2AJ regarding Conference break-out sessions, topics, presenters etc., Warren’s first comment: Being winter, the two primary conditions to be met are warmth and quality food. Speakers from the area presenting their expertise are good. Many previous year’s topics need updating.

Karl: a reminder: Debby Morgan, NZART business manager, will be visiting this Saturday. Limited spaces are available for lunch with Debby at the East Pier restaurant. Moved to recompense Debby for travel expenses, seconded by Dave 2MQ, passed.

The meeting closed at 7:53 pm.

And was followed by the Club’s AGM after which the annual construction competition (Pan Pac trophy) was conducted. Three entries this year: Stu restored a 1930’s ‘Cathedral’ style valve radio, much of the work went into rebuilding the tuning capacitor drive system.

Errol built a 475 KHz fixed tuning WSPR receiver using a kit set 21 MHz receiver board and pre-built oscillator(s) and mixer to arrive at the target frequency. Enclosed in a professional looking case. Dave 2MQ presented his almost completed Mag-loop antenna, about 1 m diameter, built of aluminium flat bar with a home made tuning capacitor made of copper laminate pcb board. Tested and working well, Operating range: 7 to 21 MHz.

The winner: (5votes), Errol, runner up: (4 votes), Stu, Dave’s Mag loop antenna: 3 votes

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 2 September 2020

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 2 September 2020 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Wally ZL2MO, Peter ZL2CD, Blue ZL3TT, Mike ZL2MY, Peter ZL2LF and Karl ZL1TJ.

Apologies: ZL2DW, ZL2IT, ZL2VM.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL3TT, ZL2LF.

Arising: Peter 2LF, identification swingers for the 2021 Conference: the format and types required were discussed.


Inward: Power account, notification of refund from the Power consumer trust. Email from David 2DW, apology, health issues. NZART Infoline regarding covid 19 restrictions at the September 5th AGM.

Outward: various notices to members etc..

Finance: Peter 2CD: financial statement attached.

General business:

Dave 2MQ: will be attending the September 5th NZART Wellington AGM, was allocated a 5 minute time slot to promote the club’s running of the 2021 NZART annual conference and AGM. The special covid 19 requirements at this year’s AGM may well still be in force for the Napier event. In which case numbers may need to be restricted which would affect cost, charges etc. and make the organization a great deal more complicated.

Mike 2MY: has a potential UK based speaker for the conference. Would a zoom setup be an option? Dave responded ‘possibly’, it may even be an option for NZ based remote presenters.

The point was raised: should the club have a QR code sign displayed by the entrance?

This is to register visitors to enable tracing in case of covid 19 affecting the area.

The consensus was that the attendance register and minutes cover this need adequately.

Karl: the next combined Committee and Conference meeting will be held on Tuesday September 12th.

The meeting closed at 8 pm.

And was followed by Dave ZL2MQ presenting his (amazing) Earth-Moon-Earth aerial and rig set-up. Pictures and explanation. How circular polarization is achieved with two ‘crossed’ yagi antennas. Not for the faint hearted. A great deal of patience is a pre-requisite for this facet of amateur radio. Dave appears to have reached an ‘invisible’ barrier of around 80 countries in his quest to achieve EME DXCC.

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 5 August 2020

Napier Amateur Radio Club, General Meeting, 5 Aug 2020


– 2MQ, 2DW, 2RO, 2LF, 2MO, 3TT, 2AN, 2MY, 2CD, 2XC, 2IT, Daniel (N/T), Mark (N/T)


– 2VM, 1TJ

Min’s of the previous General Meeting were read and approved.

Matters arising

– 2DW commented that there were 23 people at the Br13/25 mid year Xmas Tea.

– re the “makers fare” 2MQ talked about the world wide Aduino following and kits available

– 2LF talked about the Conference “swingers”

– Councilor 2RO made comments about advertising the 2021 Conference asap and was requested to attend the next “Conference Committee” meeting in August.

– 2LF talked about the Taradale Library having a free audio/visual room available.


– Peter 2CD gave an outline of the Br 25 financial situation and some discussion followed re the Club Rooms power bill and power usage.

General Business

– 2LF said that he had returned the Br 25 computer to the Club Rooms and it was redundant,

a replacement should be considered.

– 2MO commented about the new ceiling lights

The meeting closed at 7-50pm followed by a “Show and Tell” presentation, much discussion followed.

(Temporary minutes taker David ZL2DW)

Club Meeting 1 July 2020

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 1July 2020 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Wally ZL2MO, David ZL2DW, Peter ZL2CD, Blue ZL3TT, Mike ZL2MY, Rob ZL2AN, Revell ZL2SS, Ross ZL2FN and Karl ZL1TJ.

Apologies: ZL2XC and ZL2VM.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL3TT, ZL2MO.

Arising: David 2DW: The NZART annual club circular has to date not arrived in the Branch 13 mailbox.


Inward: Confirmation from NZART that deposit payment was approved and will be made.

Also from NZART the annual club information circular and request for remit vote.

Outward: to NZART regarding conference finance and deposit paid to East Pier. Various newsletters etc. to members. Request to members, vote on NZART AGM remit.

Finance: financial statement attached, $1000 for East Pier deposit now refunded by NZART.

General business: David 2DW: the Mt Threave digital repeater now has a regular internet connection courtesy of ‘Talk Mobile’ (Steve Reay). The Bch 13 annual junk sale is on again after the July 22 club meeting. The annual combined branches mid winter dinner will be held once again at the Napier RSA Club on July 24. Bookings to David or the undersigned.

Dave 2MQ: A ‘wild’ idea, to generate more activity, making use of our lovely clubrooms and advertise the radio / electronics hobby, let’s have a look at running what has become known as a ‘Makers Club’ for younger generations. Essentially a construction club using boards and components available very cheaply through the internet. Arduino based projects would also bring the opportunity to learn and do simple programming projects, offering a start to those thinking of a career in the field. To advertise to high school science teachers or local media?

Karl to check other club’s experiences with similar projects.

The NZART AGM single remit was discussed and voted on. Outcome: all in favour.

The meeting closed at 8:10 pm

And was followed by Dave ZL2DW telling us the story of his life, of course mostly that part to do with Volts, Amps and Mega Hertzes. Starting with a crystal radio, then a two part apprenticeship, various employers and finally self employment as Mr. Apex. Dave had to scale many Apexes during his career, often under foul conditions but also with the aid of helicopters which was more fun. He jumped out of aeroplanes three times and luckily the parachute worked each time so he lived to tell us a fascinating tale. Thanks Dave.

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 3 June 2020

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting Wednesday 3 June 2020 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Note: The April and May meetings of the club were not held due to the Covid 19 (Corona virus) lock-down restrictions imposed by the NZ Government.

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Wally ZL2MO, Karl ZL1TJ, Peter ZL2CD, Blue ZL3TT, Stan ZL2ST, Mike ZL2MY, Rob ZL2AN, Fergus ZL2VF, Revell ZL2SS and Errol ZL2IT.

Apologies: ZL2DW, ZL2XC, ZL2LF and ZL2VM.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2MO, ZL2MY.

Arising: Dave 2MQ, a suitable antenna has not been found, the (future) discourse on EME radio will be based on videos of his home station in action.

Correspondence: Email from Debby NZART that a visit sometime October is ‘on the cards’ if we still want her to come. Also an email from NZART regarding Conference finance, dealt with by the Conference committee. Email from Dave 2DW regarding his proposed July meeting talk, email from Daniel Hopper, seeking assistance to gain his operating certificate. Power account and Info-line newsletter. Earlier correspondence was reported in the 19 May Committee meeting minutes.

Finance: financial statement attached, no major transactions, a $20 contribution was paid towards the running cost of the Mt Threave digital repeater.

General business: Rob reported checking the coverage of the Mt Threave digital repeater. This was found to be surprisingly good. A few (3?) members now use this repeater.

Errol suggested some form of lighting the building or the sign on the roof is necessary during the winter monthly meetings to assist potential visitors finding the clubrooms.

Wally reported being extremely busy with work, finding little spare time for other things and requested to be taken off committee lists for the time being. He is still able to fulfill his roll as building custodian. Accepted with thanks for all the work he has done for the club over the years.

The meeting closed at 8 pm

And was followed by Dave 2MQ’s demonstration of digital communication software such as found in the WSJT package. The FT8 format is very popular at present, it uses the audio input and output of a computer to interface to the radio. Dave’s laptop received and decoded sounds coming from the club’s radio room in spite of all the ‘talk interference’ being generated by the audience. Two (laptop) computers will talk to each other this way, without actual physical connections. Fergus ZL2VF brought in his computer to demonstrate another (his favourite ) software package, FLDIGI, and in particular the Olivia mode which comes in a number of sub-formats. It allows the exchange of messages similar to teletype or what is now known as ‘Texting’. These modes work well with low power even when atmospheric conditions are not good.

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 4 March 2020

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 4 March 2020 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Wally ZL2MO, Dave ZL2DW, Karl ZL1TJ, Peter ZL2CD, Mike ZL2MY, Peter ZL2LF, Stu ZL2XC, John ZL2AGE and Mark Cowan.

Apologies: ZL2ST, ZL2IT, ZL2SS, ZL3TT, ZL2US, ZL2VM.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2CD, ZL2LF.

Arising: Nil

Correspondence: Acknowledgment of receipt of $1000 deposit by East Pier.

Invite to Debby NZART to visit combined branches sometime September or October.

A response from Debby but no firm commitment as yet.

Correspondence with Dave ZL2DW re: joint branches website development.

Email from Daniel Vandenberg regarding reciprocal licensing.

Notice from energy supplier Powershop of another price increase.

Finance: financial statement attached, $ 1000 deposit paid to East Pier.

General business: Dave 2DW: The Pakowai Hall needs to be booked in time for the proposed Debby Morgan visit. Alternatively the Napier club rooms could be used.

Financial contribution was discussed, travel compensation paid to Debby by Branch 13 at the occasion of her previous visit was based on a Km rate rather than cost of fuel.

Dave 2MQ moved that NZART be invoiced for the $1000 deposit paid to Eastpier.

Dave 2DW: “DMR rules”, the new digital repeater is working well, coverage substantially better than the previous D-Star repeater. Users at about 15 at present and increasing.

A lengthy discussion / explanation led by Dave 2MQ followed.

Karl: from various email exchanges it would appear that the proposed joint branches website will be limited to an essential resource from which names, phone numbers etc. can be found by those seeking further information about amateur radio in Hawke’s Bay.

John ZL2VAF, editor of Break-Out magazine, offered to maintain this.

Peter 2LF’s grandson, who is IT knowledgeable may also be available for some input.

Club Programme: The April meeting is to feature an EME demonstration by Dave 2MQ, subject to a suitable dish antenna being available and being installed in good time. The alternative of a brief video of Dave’s home station in operation may be more realistic.

Karl asked Mark Cowan if he would like some assistance with the construction with a basic aerial. Mark is likely to take up the offer in a few month’s time.

The meeting closed at 8:45 pm

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 5.2.2020

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 5 February 2020 at the Club rooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:40pm.

Present: Wally ZL2MO, Dave ZL2DW, Blue ZL3TT, Revell ZL2SS, Rob ZL2AN, Karl ZL1TJ, Peter ZL2CD, Mike ZL2MY, Peter ZL2LF and Daniel Vandenberg ZL2DRV.

Visitors: George Theron ZS5JAM, Mark Cowan and Rudolph Blaha.

Apologies: ZL2ST, ZL2IT, ZL2XC, ZL2HB.

Dave 2MQ opened the meeting and welcomed our visitors.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL3TT, ZL2SS.

Arising: Dave 2MQ: Martin ZL2MD has now moved to his new abode in Awakina (Marlborough Sounds). His offer to contribute to the setting up and maintenance of a new, combined branches website is therefore no longer applicable. Daniel made the point that a club website page dedicated to the Conference needs to be established, with a link to the NZART website.

Correspondence: email exchange with MED regarding payment of license fees. Emails from and to Mark Cowan about meeting times, various Conference correspondence items.

Finance: financial statement attached, the usual payments for ground rent and power were made. Also annual license fees. Annual refund from power company received. It was agreed to temporarily dedicate the AREC account to the 2021 conference.

General business: Suggested by Dave 2DW that Debby ZL2DM, NZART secretary be invited to come to the Bay to renew acquaintances and discuss Conference requirements sometime September / October. Karl to do the inviting.

Karl: Stan, being incapacitated after a hip transplant is not able to organize or participate in the annual Jock White field day contest. Any one interested in organizing this or just participating please contact the undersigned or Dave ZL2MQ.

Dave 2DW: A DMR repeater is now operational, first switched on 29/1. Frequency 439.2375 MHz

The meeting closed at 8:15 pm and was followed by Daniel ZL2DRV, in his capacity of NZART Counselor giving some insight in the workings of Council and progress being made. NZART incumbent President Mark Gooding ZL2UFI insists that when a commitment is made this is followed up with action.

Membership is always an issue, especially younger members are needed.

Daniel looked into the Napier Club’s history and told us a bit about his own background.

Daniel was asked a number of questions most of which were answered on the spot with the occasional “I shall look into it” response.

Dave 2MQ thanked Daniel for coming to Napier to address both the Conference organizing committee and the Club meeting.

Karl ZL1TJ