Club Meeting 6 October 2021

6/10/21 Br 25/NARC General Meeting, Napier

Attendance (10 people) as per the attendance book

Apologies ZL1TJ

Min’s of the previous Gen. Meeting read and approved

Matters arising

– ZL2MQ talked about the NCC District plan and gave a review of same.

– it was approved that a 9:1 balun be purchased by ZL2MQ for the Br 25 Club Rooms Long Wire aerial.

– ZL2DW said that he was not going to go ahead with the Br 13/25 combined “On Air 75th Award” due to apparent (as per the Awards Manager) response to these events.

Financial report

– Presented by Stu ZL2XC. The usual power bill and balances read out.

– Some discussion was had regarding a “Review” of the Br 25/NARC financial balance sheet /records for the year ending 30/9/21. To be resolved between ZL2MQ and ZL2XC when further info. (on the need or not) comes to hand and a price given.

Correspondence

– a reply from the NCC regarding the District Plan

General Business

– some notes were presented by ZL2DW

– it was noted that the xyl of (former Treas. of Br 25/NARC) Don Mudford (ex ZL2AMV) had died on 12/9/21. A card was sent by Marilyn ZL2BOA from the “Cornflakes Net” group.

– is the 75th anniversary BBQ still to be had and hosted by Br 25/NARC ?

– maybe in Dec 2021 or Jan/Feb 2022 a trip to Taraponui coming up

– expecting a trip to Wharite 2021/2022 coming up.

– Br 13/HBARC had made a donation to the “NZART Radio Education Trust”

– the Br 13 “CHB Meal and Meeting” event at Waipawa on 27/10/21 is coming up, all welcome.

– ZL2LF made some comments about his W11 computer conversion $700

– ZL1TJ to stand down at the next Br 25/NARC AGM (on 3/11/21). Some discussion was held re future Office bearers

Meeting closed at 2015hrs followed by the “Br 25 World Famous quiz”……..lots of fun and chocolate fish given out.

Dave ZL2DW

Club Meeting 8 September 2021

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 8 September 2021 at the Clubrooms

123 Latham Street Napier

Chair: Karl ZL1TJ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Errol ZL2IT, Peter ZL2CD, Mike ZL2VM, Mark ZL2TVK, Bryce ZL1BCG, David ZL2DW, Mike ZL2MY.

Apology: ZL2MQ, ZL2XC, ZL2AN.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2MY, ZL2VM.

Arising: David 2DW reported on the raffle outcome and Branch 13’s decision to share the proceeds with Branch 25. Received with thanks.

Correspondence: With John ZL2VAF via Mike 2VM regarding casual use of the club rooms by the CD Radio Group. With NZART regarding Conference financial outcome. (Dealt with by the Committee 17/8).

With Douglas Birt ZL1BFS, acting NZART Local Government Liaison Officer, (cc to 2MQ, 2VM, 2AN and 2DW) regarding the NCC Draft Plan. A copy of the NCC Draft Plan clause 53.26.2a and the proposed submission written by Douglas 1BFS to all members. The usual notices etc. to members.

Finance: the month’s financial statements attached. At the last committee meeting it was decided to refund to NZART in full the $1000 seed capital paid to us prior to Conference.

General business:

The NCC Draft Plan was discussed at length. Various options such as lobbying councilors and planning officers to be secondary to a formal submission. The submission written by Douglas ZL1BFS was accepted with thanks. Suggested by the undersigned that the main submitter should be the Club President rather than the Secretary. The submission window has now been extended to 24/9. More immediate action: Dave 2MQ to follow up on Council’s offer to have a chat with a member of the planning team. A request that someone other than the Club Secretary takes on the job of Council Liaison person fell on deaf ears.

Two other ‘projects’ needing dedicated organisers:

1)The proposed HF antenna re-build, warmer weather has arrived, Saturday working bee?

2)The 75th Club anniversary: David 2DW’s joint Branches (25 and 13) Award scheme is perhaps not viable. A proposed celebratory BBQ party has in principle been agreed on.

To be held at the clubrooms on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon late December. Branch 13 to join, also invite all past members etc..

New members Mark and Bryce need some assistance to get their equipment up and running and contacts to build up their initial log entries.

The meeting closed at 8:45 pm

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 4 August 2021

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 4 August 2021 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Errol ZL2IT, Peter ZL2CD, Rob ZL2AN, Mike ZL2VM, Mark Paton ZL2TVK, Bryce Gilbert ZL1BCG, George ZL2KKT, Dave ZL2DW, Stu ZL2XC, Peter ZL2LF,

Brian Meikle ZL2BPM, Mike ZL2MY, Revell ZL2SS and Karl ZL1TJ.

Apology: ZL2KKT, ZL3TT.

Dave 2MQ welcomed Brian ZL2BPM.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2AN, ZL2VM.

Arising: Dave 2MQ: The licensing exam held on 10 July resulted in three passes: (12 year old) Hunter Picket, Mark Paton, callsign ZL2TVK and Bryce Gilbert, callsign ZL1BCG. Congratulations to Mark and Bryce. Arrangements to assist Mark, Bryce and Hunter are being considered. An opportunity to resume Sunday afternoon technology sessions?

Mike 2MY: Still looking for large size screen, 65 inch seems to be the best value for money.

Dave 2mQ: HF antenna project waiting for warmer weather. Anyone willing to take charge?

Apology from John ZL2VAF for defaulting at the July meeting.

Correspondence: With the Napier City Council regarding the District Plan, with Bryce Gilbert regarding the licensing exam, with Hunter Picket regarding the spelling of his name, with Craig Crawford, NZART historian, regarding celebrating the Club’s 75 years existence.

From Debby NZART regarding Conference financial reconciliation. From Dave 2DW regarding branch 25 and branch 13 seventy five year celebrations and proposed Award.

From John Newson regarding the Rally of Hawke’s Bay. From John Cowell VK2IAU regarding a new morse code learning facility stimulating interest in Amateur radio.

Various notices to members.

Finance: Stu presented the month’s financial statements. Also gave notice that, due to work arrangements, his attendance to club meetings will be minimal over the next 6 months.

General business:

Dave 2DW promoting the branch 13 raffle (RWB Voucher).

Dave 2MQ: the 75 year celebration. Joint effort with branch 13? An Award is being organised by Dave 2DW. Other options might be a celebration dinner, or Sunday afternoon barbecue. Other ideas are solicited. Dates need to be set so events can be advertised in Break-In and Break-Out magazines. Dave 2DW reported that AREC involvement in the Rally of Hawke’s bay was a success.

The meeting closed at 8 pm and was followed by the customary ‘Show and Tell’ event.

Presenters:

  1. Dave 2DW: 6 items of interest ranging from the original 670 Kahuranaki repeater to books, gadgets, pictures and an illustrated explanation of the radio inspector’s ongoing efforts to find the cause of marine channel 16 interference.

  2. Peter 2LF: an audio mixer USB device vastly superior to a standard computer sound card, a home made stereo microphone and a handy gadget for opening pull tab tins.

  3. Rob 2AN: Controller and description of his new German made 3 element Ultra Beam. 20 to 6 m bands, much superior to his previous US made one.

  4. Errol 2IT: home made voltage booster 12V to 150V- oscillator-transformer-rectifier, home made crystal replacement, DC to 12MHz using synthesizer chip, software to multiply miniature printed circuit board patterns to make multiple copies.

  5. Mike 2MY: experimentation with a delta loop antenna, measurement of parameters, matching networks, final outcome: tuner needed to achieve maximum performance.

  6. Dave 2MQ: A more ‘up market’ VNA, robust construction with all bells and whistles. Good instructions and features that cheaper models do not have. Range up to 3GHz. Amazing piece of technology for $220.

This was, as always, a fun evening for the club.

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 7 July 2021

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 7 July 2021 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:35pm.

Present: Errol ZL2IT, Peter ZL2CD, Rob ZL2AN, Mike ZL2VM, Mark Paton, George ZL2KKT and Karl ZL1TJ.

Apology: ZL2DW, ZL2XC.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2VM, ZL2AN.

Arising: Dave 2MQ: Conference has now been analysed and discussed adequately, the financial outcome with a modest surplus is satisfactory.

Also: No progress made with the proposed long wire 80/40 HF antenna to replace the dipole. A short discussion on various options followed. Someone to take charge of this project?

Correspondence: From Dave 2DW re: a potential new member, from Mike 2VM re: privacy laws affecting Club records, from Blue 3TT re: Napier City District plan ongoing ‘consultations’, with Stu regarding financial matters. Conference mail with Club members, Conference participants and NZART. The latter included a thank you from Debby Morgan and a Branch 25 report on the outcome of Conference from our perspective.

Various notices to members.

Arising from Correspondence: Rob: The Napier City district plan needs to be kept to the fore at club level. Regular discussion and contact with NCC to be maintained. Dave: Karl to write to NCC to ensure our initial registration of interest is not being overlooked.

Finance: Stu, being tied up with work, sent the attached financial statement by email.

General business: Dave 2MQ: A 12 year old youngster has applied to sit the licensing exam. This will take place this Saturday 10 July. Are any club members interested in giving this a go while the opportunity arises? Mark giving it serious consideration. Karl to contact one other potential candidate. The possibility of a 12 year old joining the club was discussed. Suggested that he is offered a regular (monthly?) technical / construction session along the lines of our previous Saturday or Sunday afternoon technical meetings on the condition that he brings a few friends along.

The August meeting features the customary ‘Show and tell’ event.

Moved by Dave 2MQ and seconded by Rob 2AN that the Club invests in a large screen smart television to replace the ailing projector. All present supported the motion. It was suggested a 75 inch screen is preferable if this can be bought for $2K or less.

The meeting closed at 8:30 pm and was followed by a coffee / tea and chat session.

The scheduled presentation on the latest news from AREC did not eventuate.

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 2 June 2021

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 2 June 2021 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Peter ZL2LF, Stu ZL2XC, Errol ZL2IT, Revell ZL2SS, Mike ZL2MY, Peter ZL2CD, Rob ZL2AN, David ZL2DW, Mike ZL2VM, Blue ZL3TT, Wally ZL2MO, Mark Paton, Bryce Gilbert and Karl ZL1TJ. Apology: none.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2LF, ZL2MY.

Arising: Dave 2DW: a clearer explanation of the one and only Conference remit has been published in the May / June Break-In magazine. Revell: confirmed Napier City Council’s intention to remove the last remaining tree on our Eastern boundary. Bare (zero catering) Conference registrations for the Deco Techo Sunday are five only.

Correspondence: Amendment to May minutes request from Dave 2DW, confirmation from John ZL2VF regarding his July club meeting talk, request from Napier City Council to update our entry in the community database and the usual notices etc. to club members.

Finance: Stu gave an overview Club’s financial affairs.

General business: Dave 2MQ requested an overview of key holders to the club rooms.

Wally handed his keys to Stu, keys are held by all committee members and one set is with our Menz Shed neighbours who use the Clubrooms for committee meetings.

Conference Delegate: moved by Karl and seconded by Errol that Dave 2MQ is appointed Branch 25 Conference delegate. Passed unanimously.

The balance of G.B. was mostly dedicated to Conference organisation final details.

Discussed were: Raffle organisation etc.. Saturday afternoon drivers: Karl to email instructions to volunteers Mike 2MY, Peter 2CD, Errol and Mary Crook.

Peter 2LF presented the (very nice) booklets and ID tags. A few blank ID tags available for last minute joiners. Many thanks to Peter and Rosemary for an excellent job done.

Dave 2MQ to attend NZART Council meeting Friday afternoon. Peter 2 LF, Dave 2MQ, Karl and whoever wants to join meet at East Pier Friday 7pm for early registrations and a chat (beer?) with the Friday arrivals. Errol offered (once again) to provide the occasional airport shuttle service.

Quiz prizes: Debby and Topsy will be running a quiz on Sunday night. The Club to provide prizes, Karl to purchase some local wines and other goodies for this. May need to stipulate that wine is to take home (not consume on premises) to maintain the peace with East Pier.

Dave 2MQ referred to Presenters getting a free lunch, further reward not deemed necessary.

Security: George had to pull out due to urgent family matters. Dave 2DW presented Eric 2TSU as his replacement to assist Wally. Wayne Jacobsen ZL2OZ (QRP) had to pull out for medical reasons. His slot will now be filled by Vaughn Henderson and Don Wallace (NZART ALO) presiding over the ‘VHF Spectrum Forum’.

Dave 2DW presented a breakdown of Conference attendees by region on the white board.

A general discussion followed. De-brief meeting to be held reasonably soon after Conference.

The meeting closed at 8:30 pm and was followed by a coffee / tea and chat session.

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 5 May 2021

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on 5 May 2021 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Peter ZL2LF, Stu ZL2XC, Revell ZL2SS, Mike ZL2MY, Peter ZL2CD, George Theron ZL2KKT, Rob ZL2AN, David ZL2DW, Mike ZL2VM, Wally ZL2MO, Mark Paton and Karl ZL1TJ. Apology: ZL2IT.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2MY, ZL2AN.

Arising: Wally suggested Revell contact Patsy Glasspole at NCC regarding tree removal. Revell has been in touch with Jeremy at NCC regarding this. He was told the last remaining tree will be removed also. This may take a while though. Dave 2MQ: we can now go ahead with the proposed new mast and long wire HF antenna. Wally offered his expertise in security matters for the NZART conference. George ZL2KKT has security qualifications also and is willing to be involved. Wally to take the lead. Mike 2VM reported on the disposal of SK Stan’s gear. Dave 2DW stated that a number of Conference registrations for AGM and ‘Deco Techo’ attendance only (zero food requirements) are to be expected. George: accurate numbers of participants need to be known in case of fire or other calamity.

Correspondence: with John 2VAF regarding Break-Out listing, now amended. With Stu and others regarding QRM problems. Conference mail and notices to members.

Finance: Stu presented a printed statement of the Club’s financial affairs.

General business: Dave 2DW: Branch 13 is proposing an Award to mark the club’s 75 years of existence. This would be March April of next year. Would Napier ARC be interested making this a combined branches event? It was agreed to in principal by all present, Dave 2DW to set in motion. Also: The combined branches mid winter dinner is to held once again at the Napier RSA on 25 June. Bookings to Dave 2DW. Also: the branch 13 annual donated junk auction will be held on 28 July.

NZART AGM Remit. Only one this year, to amend the constitution to allow AREC to become a charitable trust so it can receive financial grants from NZSAR and others.

Of the seven financial members present six were in favour, one abstention.

The meeting closed at 8:10 pm.

Followed by a discussion on the topic of QRM, primarily on the HF bands. This was triggered by a call for expert opinion / assistance by Stu who experienced a sudden and dramatic increase in noise in the top end of the 80m band. Contributions from Dave 2DW, Laurie ZL2TC (by email), Dave 2MQ, Rob 2AN and others painted a broad picture of all the many things that can be underlying such problems. LED and discharge lighting, solar chargers and inverters, steel structures acting as detectors and mixers, antenna faults, problems in the receiver front end, 11Kv insulators etc.. Rob demonstrated his prize piece of gear for such situations, a Tecsun radio with DF capability, S meter, attenuators and more.

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 7 April 2021

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 7 April 2021 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Stu ZL2XC, Revell ZL2SS, Mike ZL2MY, Peter ZL2CD, George Theron ZL2KKT, Rob ZL2AN, David ZL2DW, Mike ZL2VM and Karl ZL1TJ.

Apology: ZL2MO, ZL3TT.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2SS, ZL2CD.

Arising: Apology from Peter 2LF for previous meeting omitted, now added.

David 2DW: Bch 13 was successful in it’s quest to find a sponsor for the annual repeater license fee. Suggested Bch 25 does the same. Mike 2VM: a list of SK Stan ZL2ST’s gear is now available. Expression of interest / offers to Mike please. Revell has been in touch with councilor Boag regarding tree felling. She suggested we contact the Works Department direct. Revel to have a go at this.

Correspondence: With Randal ZL1NW and John 2VAF regarding the Bch25 Break Out listing. With East Pier regarding catering and AV systems. With Stu regarding financial matters, with David 2DW regarding a trial run for his Conference presentation.

The usual notices to members.

Finance: Stu presented a printed statement of the Club’s financial affairs. Payments for Conference registration are now being received in the AREC (Conference) account.

Dave 2MQ presented a brief overview of progress with the NZART Conference preparation.

General business: Dave 2MQ: welcomed George Theron who recently converted his South African ham license to a New Zealand one, callsign ZL2KKT. Unfortunately ZL2GT was already taken. David 2DW presented a quick overview of the nets being run on the local repeater (670): the combined branches Sunday morning Net (9am) and the (weekdays) 7:30am Cornflakes net run by Marilyn ZL2 BOA. Rob 2AN went through the NZ licensing requirement changes over the years. It used to be a lot tougher to get a ham license, a radio inspector would come to check the transmitter and operator competence ‘on the spot’.

The recent license application for a privately owned local DMR repeater was discussed. The practical value was questioned but the experimental aims may be worthwhile.

The meeting closed at 8:40 pm.

Followed by David ZL2DW giving a preview of his Tech talk to be presented at the NZART Conference. Experiences from participation in the Australia / NZ 160m contest over a number of years, initially using disused telephone wires crossing a deep gully in the Cape Kidnappers region. Later with purpose made antennas near the Gannet Colony.

The prize for the ZL2 region went to the 3 man team of ZL2DW, ZL2VM and (often) ZL2CF at least twice. A number of interesting photographs and documents need to be converted to a screen presentation, Peter 2LF offered assistance.

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 10 March 2021

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 10 March 2021 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Stu ZL2XC, Revell ZL2SS, Mike ZL2MY, Peter ZL2CD, Errol ZL2IT, Peter ZL2HM, Fergus ZL2FV and Karl ZL1TJ.

Apology: ZL2VM, ZL3TT, ZL2LF, ZL2DW.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2MY, ZL2XC.

Arising: Fifty dollars paid to Branch 13 confirmed by Bch 13 Treasurer Peter ZL2HM

Correspondence: With members: regarding NZART President candidacy, Stan ZL2ST’s estate (via ZL2VM), postponement of the 3 March meeting due to Covid level 2 requirements. To John 2VAF regarding changes to the Branch 25 Break-Out listing. To members: the link to the Conference info and registration website, various notices.

Conference correspondence recorded in dedicated file.

Finance: Stu presented a very detailed printed statement of the Club’s financial affairs. Payments for Conference registration are now being received in the Conference account.

General business: Dave 2MQ: Stan 2ST(SK)’s equipment has now been transferred to the clubrooms and is awaiting completion of cataloging and processing. Mike 2VM, who has been the prime mover for this has suffered a health set back and may wish to hand over completion of the task.

Also: another tree has been removed by the Napier City Council leaving only one, which will probably also disappear. Discussion of aerial options resulted in Mike 2MY’s suggestion that a galvanised pipe to be installed on the foundation near the NE corner of the building be the support for a new end-fed multi-band antenna terminating at the Menz-Shed being adopted.

Errol 2IT: Is the record of subscription payments accessible? Stu to follow previous practice of issuing invoices and receipts after payment. A membership record is maintained by the Club Secretary.

A brief discussion on the topic of (some) members suddenly losing interest followed.

Revell 2SS: Maintaining contact with Councilor Maxine Boag, will inquire about the NCC tree cutting program.

The meeting closed at 8 pm.

Followed by Dave and Errol presenting a preliminary version of the tech talk on Magnetic loop antennas to be given at the NZART Conference. A tuning capacitor made of baked bean cans and teflon cutting board as insulator is the latest refinement. Brilliant. Errol’s concept of using a noise generator and bridge circuit to do the tuning to save the transmitter from being connected to a total mismatch deserves the same: brilliant.

Going to be the best talk of the Deco-Techo show.

Karl ZL1TJ

Club Meeting 3 February 2021

Minutes of the Napier Amateur Radio Club

Meeting on Wednesday 3 February 2021 at the Clubrooms 123 Latham Street

Chair: Dave ZL2MQ, the meeting started at 7:30pm.

Present: Stu ZL2XC, Revell ZL2SS, Mike ZL2MY, Rob ZL2AN, Peter ZL2LF, Peter ZL2CD, Ross ZL2FN, Mark Paton, Karl ZL1TJ and visitors past Club President Tony Gilbert ZL2UAG and Bryce Gilbert.

Apology: ZL2VM, ZL2DW, ZL2IT.

Visitors Tony and Bryce were welcomed by Dave ZL2MQ.

Minutes of the previous meeting: Read and confirmed to be correct: ZL2MY, ZL2XC.

Arising: Repeater license equalizing payment of $50 to Branch 13 is now due.

Correspondence: with members regarding the passing and funeral of Stan ZL2ST.

With Douglas Birt, retiring LCLO (local government liaison officer) regarding his annual report to NZART, with Peter 2CD and Stu 2XC regarding the transfer of the Treasurer’s position. Various correspondence connected with the NZART conference. From the Te Puke ARC, notice of the annual market to be held on March 20th. Outwards: Stan’s obituary to Break-In and Break-out magazines, notices to members.

Finance: The transfer of the Treasurer’s position from Peter 2CD to Stu 2XC has now been completed. Stu presented recent transactions and balances.

To satisfy bank requirements the following was stated: That, in accordance with the club’s constitution, all bank transactions must now be enacted by two out of the following three signatories: Club Treasurer Stuart Murray McLeod, Club Secretary Jan Karl Cornelis Matthys, Club President David John Crook.

General business: Dave 2MQ presented a short overview of the Conference committee’s progress. Speakers and topics for the Sunday technical forums have now been found and need to be allocated time slots. The usual special interest groups will be given the customary one hour slots to meet, the possible exception WARO which have indicated the need for a longer slot. A number of early registrations have been received, inquiries regarding the programme etc. are coming in. The programme and registration forms etc. need to be completed for submission to Break In magazine early March. Next Conference committee meeting February 23.

The meeting closed at 8 pm.

And was followed by Stu 2XC’s presentation of his most recent DX exploits, mainly on the 80m band. Considering location and antenna Stu’s log shows an impressive number of QSO’s including many ‘hard to get’ locations. The addition of a 500W linear amplifier improved reports by 1 ‘S’ (strength) point. An Arduino driven scanner (of a few selected frequencies only) made doing ‘other things’ while listening possible. Presented with slides and short videos, Great show!

Karl ZL1TJ